Ross County Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplay Guides

Go down

Roleplay Guides Empty Roleplay Guides

Post by Ryan Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Roleplay Guides 4460591

This is not supposed to be an objective guide on what role-play is; this is like idealism. It’s my thoughts on paper, on how you can improve – how you can become a better role-player.
It’s for everyone to read and be inspired as they please.

This guide will for obvious reasons not cover everything. However, it will and should cover the most essential things.

Role-play, what does good role-play require?

This is an often discussed question - yet I find it really easy to answer - so that I shall do.

There are a few things you’ll need in order to be able to be a good role-player. Those things include following; You need to be able to use English very easily - you also need to be able to type fast. And when you're typing fast, you need to be able to know what you want to write - you need to know your character and situation - how to handle it. In order to do that - you must have a really good imagination along with patience and maturity. All this is of course only possible when you are completely aware of the game mechanics and rules.

That being said, let's take a look at some of the game mechanics - and how people use them.

There are two game mechanics that we are going to talk a lot about, those are; /do and /me commands.

Let's have a scenario to differ between doing bad - and doing really good.

From bad - to good:

Objective: You drive a sultan and you want to park it at the sidewalk on the right.

First attempt: You turn to the right - crashing into a piller that results in your vehicle being stopped. You exit the vehicle and run toward your final destination.

Second attempt: You slow down slightly - since you're going to park your vehicle. You park it nicely at the sidewalk.

* Jerry Colson turns the key.
* Jerry Colson raises his right hand toward the key, twisting it softly inside the ignition.
The sound from the vehicle fades out; the engine has been shut down. (( Jerry Colson ))
* Jerry Colson sighs lightly - looking in the mirror checking for vehicles on the road behind him.
Jerry is able to see the right lane on the road - no vehicles are noticed by him from his angle. (( Jerry Colson ))
* John Villiams reaches for the door, swinging it open with his legs following - exiting the vehicle.
* John Villiams turns to the door - bending down just sufficiently to lock the vehicle with a turn of his key.

You turn to the door - and do an animation.
*Click, click* - The vehicle has been locked. (( John Villiams ))

Some people don’t write anything, some people write more than above – it’s a matter of taste and is just to statue an example of the possible difference.
That being said, we can now state following;
How fast you can type equals your possible role-play, to some extent. (If you are slow at typing - you can't type as much.) Though, you can still be a very decent role-player without typing much, just by stating the most important things as you role-play.. However, personally it’s essential to role-play that you’re being quite exact in your actions. Instead of saying that you’re “taking something” then I would prefer that you mention: “Raises his right hand a bit, extending it toward the ‘object’ grabbing it.” – Here we know which hand you use, where it moves and how it moves. I often tend to ask people in the “/do” command which hand they are using when they perform such actions, quite more joyful I’d say.
You must know what you are typing. (If you don’t know what you have to type - you can't type as much relevant to and in your situation.)
I could go along with all the terms I have mentioned. However, please recall them by yourself.

That was from 'Newbie' to 'Experienced' situation - we will use that again, but later. I want to state some things about the stages of RP first. These stages are not really accurate, since I don't know how fast you type, but let’s have a look at the idea:

Stage one: Speak.
Stage two: /me.
Stage three: /do.
Stage four: Animation.

You may use some animations at the other stages too - but fully mastering it – can be hard.

Let me show you one single situation going from stage one - to four.

The situation: Two men meet each other - one is asked his name.

Stage one:

Jerry Colson: Greetings, sir.
Jerry Colson: May I ask of your name, please?
John Villiams: Certainly.
John Villiams: John, John Villiams Sir.

Stage two:

* Jerry Colson looks at John Villiams - slightly nodding at him in an attempt of getting his attention.
Masahiro Saji: Greetings, sir.
* Jerry Colson at John Villiams with are more calm facial expression – smiling.
Jerry Colson: May I ask of your name, please?
* John Villiams nods respectfully at the man - making a polite facial expression.
John Villiams : Certainly.
* John Villiams clears his throat slightly.
John Villiams : John, John Villiams Sir.

Stage three:

* Masahiro Saji looks at Yuuta Saji - slightly nodding at him in an attempt of getting his attention.
Do I get your attention? (( Masahiro Saji ))
Yes - I look up from what I was currently doing. (( Yuuta Saji ))
* Masahiro looks at Yuuta Saji with are more calm facial expression - smiling.
The smile was short - but very certain. (( Mashiro Saji ))
Masahiro Saji: May I ask of your name, please?
It was said in a very calm tone. (( Mashiro Saj ))
* Yuuta Saji nods respectfully at the man - making a polite facial expression.
Yuuta Saji : Certainly.
* Yuuta Saji clears his throat slightly.
Words are spoken sudden - yet still calm. (( Yuuta Saji ))
Yuuta Saji : Saji, Saji Yuuta it is.

Stage four:

* Masahiro Saji looks at Yuuta Saji - slightly nodding at him in an attempt of getting his attention.
Animation: (/Nobreath 3) - For about one second.
Do I get your attention? (( Masahiro Saji ))
Yes - I look up from what I was currently doing. (( Yuuta Saji ))
Animation: (/call [Number]) as he speaks.
* Masahiro looks at Yuuta Saji with are more calm facial expression - smiling.
The smile was short - but very certain. (( Mashiro Saji ))
Masahiro Saji: May I ask of your name, please?
Animation: (/Chat [Number]) as he speaks.
It was said in a very calm tone. (( Mashiro Saj ))
* Yuuta Saji nods respectfully at the man - making a polite facial expression.
Yuuta Saji : Certainly.
Animation: (/Nobreath 3) - For about one second.
* Yuuta Saji clears his throat slightly.
Words are spoken sudden - yet still calm. (( Yuuta Saji ))
Animation: (/Chat [Number]) as he speaks.
Yuuta Saji : Saji, Saji Yuuta it is.

Some tips and tricks for RP situations:

If you are standing somewhere, anywhere... And you OOCly notice a man sneaking up somewhere behind you. Please for the love of god don't just turn around.

Do this instead:

You're standing somewhere randomly.
You OOCly notice the man;
Do I notice you? (( Yuuta Saji ))
Not yet, I’ve done nothing that could have made you take notice of me. (( Man ))

When you deal money, count them;

* Yuuta Saji offers the bag to the man.
* Noob Skin accepts the bag - throwing it into the van.
/Pay Noob_Skin 435.
Noob Skin: (( Hey, that's not enough, the deal was 5k! ))
Yuuta Saji: (( You didn't count them, dont metagame. ))

Fail.

* Yuuta Saji offers the bag to the man.
* Pro Skin accepts the bag - Opening it, looking at the content.
How much does it look like? (( Pro Skin ))
About 400... (( Yuuta Saji ))
* Pro Skin looks up at Yuuta with slightly annoyed face.
Pro Skin: What's this?

Win.

How I define some RP terms.

The best role-player is not necessarily a person who is perfect at it, but never does it.
I believe that those who stay IC the longest and do a good job staying IC are good role-players.
There are two parts of being a good role-player: Being good at role-playing - and - being IC all the time.

If someone never went OOC and was IC all the time, then he would be a better role-player then me if I didn't role-play at all.

If you truly want to become a good role-player, then behave like one.

When you’re using the “/do” command, please refrain from using the old “/do S/F” . It’s honestly as low as it could possibly get within role-play. You need to expand.
“/do Does anything prevent me from doing this?” Is a lot better.

Weapons are something most people can’t live without, and I can’t blame them. However, I do blame those actually only clicking the left of their mouse button when it could have been role-played instead.
A good role-player does not need to kill people, script-wise.

No matter what you are, Gang, Mafia, Cop. If someone annoys you really much. What do you do? Kill them?

Have you ever thought about using your skills as a role-player and role-play with them instead? I can show you one single situation.. It takes a lot of time to make it here on the forums, so you better appreciate it.

The situation: A man punches you lightly.

Instead of pulling out your spas and killing him;

* Yuuta Saji jumps toward the man with his easily triggered aggressive reaction - trying to hit him in the face with his knee.
It was very sudden - did I succeed hitting you? (( Yuuta Saji ))
Yes - I didn't see that coming. (( Man ))
Animation: (/dead or likely.)
* Yuuta Saji tries to kick him in the head - trying to knock him out.
You hit me in the head - I am knocked out. (( Man ))
Considering the damage to your head, will you be able to remember I, who knocked you out? (( Yuuta Saji ))
No. (( Yuuta Saji ))
When will I wake up? (( Man ))
One minute after I am gone. You will experience pain, but no serious injuries. (( Yuuta Saji ))
Death is something that happens rapidly, all over the server. It’s also a very annoying and stupid thing to role-play. I would tell you never to kill people, but injure them instead, and make sure they don’t remember the episode.

This can also be used if you have robbed a man. Instead of killing him - RP knock him out or likely. (Even though robbing shouldn’t be done too often, but you get my drift.)
It is much more fun to RP than just clicking the left of your mouse button till one's HP reaches zero, you will learn that.

Another thing I want to mention.

For the love of god - stop power-gaming.

Some people say power-gaming is forcing role-play, that is not the most accurate explanation.

You are in fact allowed to force people to role-play, but what there is meant, is;

You're not allowed to decide things in /do or /me about other people without them having a chance to answer in /do about it.

Examples:

* Yuuta Saji steals the man’s wallet - taking a few buck from it. Power-gaming - he does not have a chance to answer - let’s give him a chance, shall we? Look here;

Is your wallet on your pocket of your jeans and can I see it? (( Yuuta saji ))
Yes. (( Man ))
* Yuuta Saji tries to sneak up behind the man.
Do you notice me? (( Yuuta Saji ))
No. (( Man ))
* Yuuta Saji tries to take the wallet with a swift move.
Do you notice me taking it? (( Yuuta Saji ))
Yes - It's very obvious since I have a chain in it. (( Man. ))
* Yuuta Saji sighs.

Additional information
These are tips from me, things I would recommend if you’re trying to become a good role-player.
Firstly, I would like to criticize the way many people perceive the server. This is mainly for you to get a good idea of what not to do, and to realize something as well.
On a role-play server you’re supposed to play with the ambition to constantly interact with other players in-characterly. Unfortunately, many people consider the server, not as a role-play server, but as a PWN-game.
So, what exactly is a PWN-game?
There are a lot of PWN-games. To give you some examples;
Counter Strike, League of legends, Guild Wars, SA:MP DM-servers and World of Warcraft.
The things that these PWN-games have in common are; people who play it only care about ‘Pwning’ this means that they only care about money, stats and killing people.
This is the main problem on our server; people confusing it with a PWN-game.
There are a lot of people on our server, the majority actually, who confuse our role-play server with a PWN-game. They only care about their stats, money, weapons, house, cars and killing people. They run around Los Santos trying to earn money in some way or another. Try to have a look at the advertisements, they all look like this: “SELLING [E] Bullet VIP Color Gold Rims, SMS ONLY – contact xxx xxx”. Try to ask yourself which vehicles people want to have. You will find out that they are only interested in having fast cars with good handling and even better if it has gold rims or what is likely. . .

So, how can you be different from them? How can you become a good role-player who values the correct things? Here is a little guide for your start.

The character
Think through who your character actually is.
When, where and why was your character born?
What is or was his family like, how was he raised and in what culture?
What’s the personality of your character, what does he value?
Does anything special occur that means a lot to your character before he comes to Los Santos?
Where is your family while being in Los Santos?
Does your character actually really want to do anything illegal?
What are his ambitions?
It’s considered good to use a more ‘normal’ skin over skins that doesn’t fit your role-play. If you’re American then you shouldn’t use the woozie skin. You get the drift. Good role-players tend to use very common and normal skins that fit their character best possible.

Residence
Where does your character live?
Does your house actually fit the situation of your character?
It’s often considered best to just have a very common house, with a lot of role-play facilities, instead of having a huge mansion that doesn’t make sense.

Weapons
Is it really realistic for your character to actually have a gun? And a vest? If you really want to have a gun on you, I suggest using a desert eagle or SD-pistol. It’s in my opinion really stupid to run around with weapons such as M4 and Combat Shotgun. Using a vest should also be avoided since you don’t walk around with one all the time.. If at any point of time.
You should in all role-play situations avoid using guns. Guns can be used in a role-play, but role-play situations without the use of guns is really something we lack. If you really need a weapon, try to see if you can use melee weapons instead. And to get back on the weapon topic; do you ever notify people around you that you have a vest on, an M4 and Spas on your back? I don’t think so. And even if you did, it wouldn’t spare you..
Don’t walk around with a vest, just because you want those extra 50-100 HP. Vests are almost never used for its sole purpose, and therefore I encourage not using them. (Unless you know you’re about to get into a role-played gun-fight, but really, don’t walk around with one 24/7.)
Should you get into the unfortunate situation in which bullets are fired then please try to act realistic. In any case, then you should look for cover, then wait for a moment to shoot. Do not try to dodge bullets by walking sideways or running around. Running over to your opponents cover and shooting him is also really unrealistic. Take cover. Shoot when there is a good chance you won’t get hit. Take cover again.

Vehicles
What vehicles is it realistic for your character to use? Personally, I think it’s extremely pathetic to use the ‘best cars’. I prefer using, what I would call, role-play cars such as a sadler, sabre etc. Use the vehicle that fits your character and its role-play. Using cars such as Sultan, Cheetah, Turismo and Bullet, etc is just stupid. Personally, I drive an Alpha. Back when I role-played ‘gangster’ I owned a bike and a lowrider.
When you drive around San Andreas, please remain on the right lane – with a reasonable speed. Don’t crash into people. It’s rather obvious. Don’t do it. Drive slowly, just like you would in real life. Don’t take short-cuts, don’t drive on the sidewalk, don’t ram anything, don’t do what you wouldn’t do in a car in real life. It really doesn’t matter what you role-play – people don’t drive retarded.

The LEO
This is something that is quite important to me. It’s true that you can be a decent role-player without staying good friends with the LEO. However, I do to every inch suggest staying as good friends with the LEO in your role-play as possible. It is really something that increases your role-play experiences all over. After I realized this I started to never use illegal weapons, drugs and likely. ( Using those things is retarded in the first place for a mob, if used all the time. However different if role-playing a gangster. ) Let’s just set up the scenario, when were you last pulled over? It might not fit your situation perfectly; however it does fit the situation of the majority of the server. People refuse to pull over. This is a really huge issue for the LEO and their role-play. Every time the LEO tries to pull one over, they get shot at. Some people even try to suicide or make themselves die in a shoot-out, if they can’t kill the officers. It’s extremely pathetic behavior, unacceptable. The reason is quite obvious though. The reason people don’t pull over, or role-play with the LEO in general is because they are afraid to get arrested. First of all, getting arrested is also a part of the role-play. It’s not a punishment; it’s a normal part of role-play. That being said, there are a ton of ways to avoid it without doing something as retarded as killing yourself or the officer. The number one reason for these occurrences is what I have said already. It’s the fact that people consider our server a PWN-Game instead of a role-play server. They have crack, pot, weapons and materials on them all the time. This is a huge obstacle when it comes to role-play with the LEO. Therefore, I suggest you never have crack, pot, weapons or materials on you unless you have a good reason for it. Through-out my time as a role-player I have had some really fortunate and amusing times with the LEO. There is really a huge difference between not being able to role-play with the LEO in a positive way, than having the feeling that you’re forced to do something stupid in order to get out of your misfortunate situation. Every time the LEO sets on the sirens to pull over another vehicle they do, can and will expect that vehicle to drive off as fast as possible. It’s really much more fun to actually pull over and actually try to interact with the Leo in a positive way, role-playing. All in all, just make sure you won’t get busted if the officer wants to frisk you. Try to remain clean for long periods of time and only have illegal things on you should you need them. It’s really stupid to always have illegal things on you. In most situations, they won’t even consider frisking you if you comply in a realistic way. Stop the car, do as the officer asks you to and you will be just fine.
I have seen a lot of people assisting the criminals, in either case; making life hard for the LEO. It’s sad how everyone takes the chance to shoot officers, even when the situation does not involve them. I greatly encourage role-playing with the LEO instead of just shooting them or doing something likely.

Behavior
Something that should be quite obvious, just like so many other things; you need to behave. There are so many stupid things you can do, so I am not going to mention all of them. However, I will give some examples of what I have seen people do on the server, things you should avoid doing. If your aim is to be a good role-player, then it’s quite important you don’t ‘F*** around’. The main rule is to never do anything in-game if you’re extremely bored, to the extent where you start to do random things. I’ve seen a lot of people taking out their guns, shooting a few objects, cars and walls. I’ve seen people jump from the roof of a car to another. I could make tons of examples of how people being bored affects their character in an extremely stupid way, ruining role-play for other people around them. If you’re bored, then log out – take a walk for go into a PWN-game. Don’t let it affect your character. If you still haven’t gotten the picture.
Don’t: Sprint, jump onto objects as umbrellas and bushes, shoot objects or anything, drive differently, run around in circles, kill a cop – you get the drift.
Instead, you should try to stay in-character for as long as possible, all the time. That’s what it’s all about. Everything that happens around you, let your character recognize it; let him or her respond to it in a natural way. Try not to run all the time, but instead walk. Test your own patience a bit.
It’s pretty obvious what you should do, and what you should not.

Creating role-play
Creating role-play is a really interesting topic actually. It seems to be something that is rather difficult to do, seeing that we may lack role-play on the server. However, it’s something extremely simple, it doesn’t really require too much. As I have explained carefully already, the reason for our lack of role-play is because of those people who consider the server a PWN-game and not a role-play server. Apart from that, it’s only a matter of things that I mentioned in the start of this post – things such as patience and actual will to start to role-play.
There are two kinds of role-play terms I use.
1) Event. What I call ‘event’ is what many other people call role-play. They sit around OOCly and then at some point, they decide to actually role-play.. An ‘event’ is when someone takes the initiative to do something out of the ordinary. It’s when you gather a group of people so that you can role-play something together. It can be anything, from a meeting to a roll-up in an enemy territory. In RC:RP many people only experience this kind of role-play. They use most of their time to enjoy the server as if it was a PWN-game, and then do some Event-role-play once in a while.

2) Base role-play. The base role-play is when you are in-character and role-play small things, interacting with people around you, no matter what situation you’re in. It’s basically just staying in-character best you can. The more base role-play you experience, the better. Even though you may believe you’re doing it all the time, double it up a few times – and we’re close. I’ve only met extremely few persons who can actually do this at a good level.
I really hope you appreciate the guide - I hope I mentioned something you found useful. I know that I did not cover everything - but I did mention some things.
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

https://rc-rp.iftopic.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum